Exercise Physiology FAQs

Frequently asked Questions

Q: What is an Exercise Physiologist?

Exercise Physiologists are university educated, completing at least 4 years of university education. Registered as an allied health professional, accredited with Exercise and Sport Science Australia.

Exercise Physiologists prescribe specific and individualised exercise as a form of medicine for treatment, management and prevention of chronic health conditions and injuries.

Use latest and best medical/sport science evidence to deliver individualised EP management plans.

Aim to not restrict activity during injury period, however we educate and prescribe exercise as to not aggravate injury and exercise safely.

For athletes/apparently healthy population, services can be catered towards athletic development and injury prevention.


Examples of conditions we treat:

Cardiovascular Disease, Type 2 Diabetes, Stroke, Multiple Sclerosis, Musculoskeletal Injuries, Osteoporosis, mental health, obesity, cancer, chronic pain.


Services We Offer

Medicare (Chronic Disease Management Plan)

A Chronic Disease Management (CDM) plan will provide an individual with a chronic condition (>6 months) with up to 5 sessions for Exercise Physiology per year shared amongst other allied health professionals. With a CDM referral you will be entitled to a $56 rebate per session


  • Initial (60 mins) – $125
  • Subsequent (60 mins) – $120
  • Subsequent (45 mins) -$100
  • Subsequent (30 mins) – $80


Department of Veteran’s Affairs (DVA)

If you are an Australian veteran/spouse and have a DVA card (White or Gold), this will allow you access to treatment by an Exercise Physiologist for your accepted conditions. Whether this is for assistance with chronic disease, limited mobility, balance issues or decreasing strength levels a referral to an Exercise Physiologist under a DVA referral (with a D904 referral form) will allow you to visit an exercise physiologist with no out of pocket cost.


  • Initial (30 mins) – $67.95 +GST
  • Subsequent (30 mins) – $67.95 +GST


National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS)

If you are eligible to receive funding under the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) then you may be able to participate in sessions with an Exercise Physiologist under the ‘capacity building supports. Exercise Physiologists are highly equip to be able to treat and help educate individuals with many conditions, ranging from neurological disorders (Stroke, Multiple Sclerosis, Alzheimer’s etc.) to spinal cord injuries.


  • Initial (60 mins) – $160
  • Subsequent (60 mins) – $166.99
  • Subsequent (45 mins) – $125
  • Subsequent (30 mins) – $83



If you have been injured at work and need assistance returning to full time employment hours, Exercise Physiologists can help with the rehabilitation of your injuries and assist you with returning to your career.

Exercise Physiologists can be very helpful with reducing the burden of your injury on your financial life and can help to take the stress out of finances by allowing you to return to work sooner.


  • Initial (60 mins) – $125 +GST
  • Subsequent (30 mins) – $84.80 +GST


My Aged Care Plan

My aged care plan is comprised of 3 major initiatives that encourage and provide Exercise Physiology services.

  • Home Care Package (HCP)
    • Short term restorative care (STRC)
    •             Commonwealth Home Support Programme (CHSP)

Through all 3 funding models the utilisation of Exercise Physiology is available via your care organisation. Depending on the specifics of your care – Package type, funding amount and care provider – FCW can assist with in home, clinic or community-based Exercise Physiology services.



Client must have extras cover, usually if they have physio cover they will also have cover for Exercise Physiology. Depending on their level of cover, the rebate will vary. However, it usually sits around $30-40.


Pre-Employment Screening

Pre-Employment Screenings are used to assess and screen individuals for risk factors that may adversely impact their ability to perform job-related responsibilities safely and effectively. These assessments can be specifically tailored to meet your business’ needs and match the demands of the given role.

Components include:

  • Height, Weight, BMI
  • Cardiovascular Examination (Resting HR, Blood Pressure, Pulse, Aerobic Test)
  • Full musculoskeletal examination
  • Manual Handling and Functional Movement Examination
  • Medical History
  • Vision Testing
  • Instant Drug and Alcohol Testing (Optional)


  • Standard – $180
  • Standard + Drug & Alcohol Testing – $240